Open Data Windsor Essex (ODWE) is Hackforge’s special interest group dedicated to supporting and encouraging efforts in open data. Funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation, ODWE advocates for open data and assists organizations in our community share their work in a manner that’s accessible and open for everyone.
Tuesday, September 29th, Hackforge launched the Open Data Windsor-Essex community open data portal with the generous support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation. Visit and explore the portal at ODWE.ca.
Open Data is data that can be freely used, reused, and redistributed by anyone. Governments of all levels have embraced open data in recent years to further transparency and accountability. Open Data Windsor Essex is introducing community open data through its new portal featuring data by the community, for the community.
We are inviting the community to take part in the portal.
Do you have data to share? We are looking for relevant community data that can be made publicly available (no sensitive or personal data). We can take archival data, on-going projects, or help in the development of future initiatives. Raw data is best, but we can work with data at any stage. Be ready for others to distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially!
We invite programmers to help the community data initiative by taking on an Open Data Windsor Essex dataset project, assist in the development of the ODWE Portal, report errors or problems, and use the data in their own work. If you are interested in helping as a developer, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage the community to get involved in open data! Use the data in research, advocacy, education, journalism. Take part in hackathons. Support open data projects and keep Open Data in mind while creating
Here are some of the work we’ve done so far:
- On January 19, 2013: Hackforge volunteers assisted in an Open Data HackJam in conjunction with WETechAlliance and the participation of students from the University of Windsor
- May 11th, 2013: delegates from Hackforge attended the GOOpenData conference and contributed a short lighting talk
- July 18th, 2013: we had our first meetup dedicated to Open Data
- October 2, 2013: first meeting of the Windsor Essex Open Data interest group
- February 22, 2014: ODWE celebrated International Open Data Day with an event themed ‘Get Your Data on the Map!
- July 22, 2014: ODWE meeting : slides
- October 17 & 26, 2014: HackWE 3.0 celebrated National Science and Technology Week by challenging teams in a hackathon to create projects using open science data.
- November 19, 2014: Global GIS Day Maptime Event
- December 18, 2014: Explore Crowd-Sourcing with Maptime Windsor-Essex
- February 15 & 22, 2015: The Data-Journalism Hackathon, Press Play challenged local post-secondary students to use local open data to create interactive journalistic visualizations.
- April 23, 2015: Telling Stories with Web Mapping, a Maptime Event
- September 2, 2015: Ongoing Open Data Windsor Essex projects featured in the Windsor Independent, “Open data opens the door for tech opportunities.”
- September 29, 2015: The Launch of the Open Data Windsor Essex Portal with guest speaker, Alex B. Hill from DETROITogtraphy. Coverage featured by CBC and the Windsor Star.
Interested in being a part of it or just want to keep up with what we’re up to? Keep tabs on us via Twitter.
ODWE Lead – Mita Williams